Characteristics of a Local Economy Center
Typically you'll be able to identify a budding Local Economy Center when you see a group of dedicated people following these principles stating that their goal is to create a more sustainable future for all. Each Center is independently run and takes on the needs and projects for its particular community. These Centers will likely share some common values such as...
- Working in the interest of the greater good
- Locally-focused with an eye for regional trade and cooperation
- Generally follow cooperative principles
- Invest in future generations
- Sustainability-focused, working on the "green" economy and using triple bottom line business practices
- Integrate Natural Step, Permaculture, Biomimicry, Restorative or Whole Systems Thinking into program or business development
Centers believe in sharing what works in their communities with other communities. This network of Local Economy Centers will allow rapid recognition and sharing of methods, innovations and solutions that work. These practices can then be modified and adapted for local implementation.